Friday, September 26, 2008

My First Month With My iPhone 3G

Time passes by quickly and it has been a month since I have my iPhone 3G. I'm getting more used to the phone, and I've gotten used to checking the AppStore every now and then. :) Yes, there are alot of free applications in AppStore which you can download. Some people has the misconception that AppStore only has paid applicaitons. That is wrong! AppStore has many free, and I would say quite useful applications/games.

My battery life has settled down to about 2 days for 1 charge. One thing to note here though is that I shutdown my iPhone every night. Its a habit of mine for all my phones.

My usage pattern is slightly above average I think, and it can be quite heavy at times, like checking emails every hour. For my usage time, the maximum I've ever seen was about 7 and a half hours on a charge.

Just to highlight something I've ranted about in this post here. My data usage for the month is *drum roll* ... ... Less than 150MB. Yes, I'm surprised.

After thinking about it, I think I've understood why. These are the reasons:
  1. Most of the regular sites/apps I go to daily have very little graphics. Content (word) in websites does not take up much bandwidth.

  2. Next is the misconception I had about emails in the iPhone 3G. When I read the email details, all my attachments do not get downloaded until I tap on it. This is a useful feature because sometimes I do not read all my attachments. I'm more interested in the content of the email. I think the only email which will display the attachment is when you send a graphics attachment. I rarely have these kind of emails though.

  3. Lastly is that I have a habit of connecting to Wifi before I go to AppStore (not all the time). I believe that it helped in lowering my data usage because I've a habit of downloading many apps, and deleting them too. :) I connect to the Wifi when its available as Wifi is still generally faster than 3G.

Unless you really like to watch YouTube the whole day on the iPhone, or like to download apps every single day using the 3G, it will be extremely difficult for you to break the 1GB usage barrier.

I would post more about my battery optimisation tips next time. Feeling a little tired today.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...