Friday, April 11, 2008

Refresh your Mac Desktop

I've always been encountering weird problems like saving a file in my desktop and the desktop not reflecting the change. The weird part is if I use my finder to look at the desktop folder, the same thing happens! The only way I can access the file is to use the Terminal application to move the file to another folder.

Anyway, I have finally found out how to refresh/reset the Mac desktop so that it'll reflect the items saved on the desktop. Just do the following:
  1. Click on the Apple icon on the top left-hand corner and click on Force Quit
  2. Click on the Finder application and click on Relaunch.

That's all to it. You can do this even though you have other applications open. It will not affect your other applications. At least it did not affect mine. :)

Hope this helps...

15 comments:

Sean Stromberg said...

Awesome! Thank you. I had a little ghost icon of a file I put in the trash. This got rid of it.

Anonymous said...

Simple and to the point, Thanks!

Garry Girvan said...

A lovely, simple and effective tip. Thanks. It worked on my iBook G4

Anonymous said...

great it works short and simple

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, this was annoying the snot out of me, thanks very much

Anonymous said...

I know this webpage was created eons ago. But I just had to say this was a GREAT tip! I tried searching everywhere but couldn't find a solution till I chanced upon this webpage. THANKS!!

chantc said...

Glad that I could help.

Voice of Reason said...

Thanks a lot for the help!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much!!

I had a ghost icon of a file I moved and this worked perfectly!!!

Mark Landau said...

Ditto, great tip, many thanks, m

Besilio said...

Thank You Very Much

Febee0810 said...

thank you, good one

Lucy Orloski said...

From the simplest iPhone screen repairs to the most complex liquid damage or data recovery for your Apple, Samsung,Huawei device, Repair My Phone Today is always here to help!
Macbook Repair Oxford

James Brodski said...

Wow! Thank you so much. It works perfectly. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...