Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Difference in Internet Speed between iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS

I believe it's quite obvious that the iPhone 1st generation only supports 2G and the iPhone 3G supports 3G, but I've never knew until recently that there is also a difference in 3G speed between the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

I only knew about the difference recently while researching on a comment someone made with regards to the speed of 3G in handphones.

Based on what I've researched, the iPhone 3G only supports speeds of up to 3.6 Mbps while the iPhone 3GS supports speeds of up to 7.2 Mbps (downloading). However for the iPhone 3GS, the uploading speed is capped to 384 Kbps. The reason is because the iPhone 3G only supports UMTS while the iPhone 3GS supports the downloading portion of HSDPA.

It's funny that this information was never put across clearly, at least to me. Anyway, it doesn't matter whether your iPhone can support 3.6 Mbps or 7.2 Mbps. Try using the SpeedTest app and I sincerely doubt you can even reach 3.6 Mbps consistently. Even if the telco supports 3G speeds of up to 42 Mbps, it's of no use to handphone users as their speed is capped at 7.2 Mbps (which I've never achieved before anyway).

Anyway, this doesn't matter because if you've used the SpeedTest app previously, you'll know that it's next to impossible to get 3.6 Mbps consistently. I'll be happy even if I can get 3G signal and in some MRT tunnels, a normal phone signal.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...