Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Shanghai Eateries

This is the post dedicated to eating. :) Based on my recollection, the food was rather cheap 3 years ago. However, now the situation has changed. The food prices have risen to close to Singapore. It's hard to find cheap food now.

Here's a list of places that I've tried:

KFC
> The most popular fast food restaurant there. I managed to grab a bite there before I left Shanghai. The food is surprisingly non-oily. They sell Portuguese tarts too. Not bad...

Chen2 Wang2 Miao4
> Otherwise known as Yu4 Yuan2. There's a very popular Xiao3 Long2 Bao1 there. There are basically 3 queues there. The bottom queue is for take-away. There always seem to be a long queue there. If you go up the stairs, there will be 2 more queues. Turn to the right, it's the cheaper side. Turn to the left side, it's the more expensive side. The difference is double I think. One of the best I've ever eaten. Much better than the standard over here. The skin is not too thick, not too thin.

Below is a picture of the name of the Xiao3 Long2 Bao1 restaurant:



Zheng4 Da4 Guang2 Chang3
> As stated in the previous post, the Yi4 Cha2 Yi4 Zhuo1, otherwise known as Chamate, is not bad. I think it's on the 5th or 6th floor. There's also a hidden cheap restaurant at basement 2. However, it's not very nice. Still, it's cheap. Heard that the Ajisen there is also not bad. Didn't try it though.

Jia1 Le4 Fu3
> Carrefour. :) Just in case anyone is interested. I've only been to the one at Jin1 Qiao2 (PuDong), but that's because I stay near that area. There's a pretty nice Vietnamese food restaurant in the building next to Carrefour. The Pho is not bad. Only about S$6. That building contains mostly eateries. Within Carrefour there is also a food court, and Secret Recipe, and some other restaurants.

Shi2 Dai4 Guang2 Chang3
> This is near Ba1 Bai2 Ban4, which I mentioned in the previous post. It's just across the road. I've tried the food is on the 6th floor. When you get out of the lift, turn left. There's a restaurant called something Ah1 Shu1 (Uncle). I don't quite like their Xiao3 Long2 Bao1 though. Maybe because I've tried the one at Yu4 Yuan2. :) Note that the restaurants there are quite expensive though, relative to Shanghai that is. 2 people eating might cost you about S$50. I've seen many people turning right when getting out of the lift. That one looks more high class. Not sure what restaurant is that.

There is a little shopping there too, but things look too high class for me. :)

Qian2 Xiang1 Ge2
> This place is situated at Shang1 Chen2 Lu4, Pu3 Chen2 Lu4. It's quite near Ba1 Bai3 Ban4. Basically, they sell Guizhou Cuisine. Translated, almost everything has chili. But you can get an overdose of chili. Their frog is not bad, and their doufu. It's expensive though. I did not get a chance to look at the bill, but locals do not get to eat there.


That's about the places I've tried. The average pricing I seen there is about S$3 in the shopping malls. That's like Singapore pricing, so if you're going to Shanghai, don't under-estimate the food if you're going free and easy.

Going to Jakarta early tomorrow so I guess I better turn in early. Hopefully I'll be back in 1 piece.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...