Sunday, March 8, 2009

VirtualBox 2.1.4 fixed 1 problem

I've used VirtualBox latest v2.1.4 for sometime now. To a Mac user, there isn't much difference in it. There was only one difference that I spotted that is different from the previous version. My snapshots can now be restored after a VirtualBox upgrade. Before that, my snapshot must always be discarded after an upgrade.

It did seems that the performance is relatively better. I detect a lesser lag when I switch between spaces on my Leopard, and I have enabled the VT-x/AMD-V setting for my Virtual Machine.

My problems still remain though.
  • I've sort of given up hope on VHD. I do not think it's VirtualBox's fault that it doesn't work though. I know what is it like. :)

  • Somehow if I have setup 2 network adapters, 1 virtual, and 1 host interface, there will be a problem with WinXP as it detects that the 2 network adapters are enabled, even though only one adapter is enabled at any one time.

    So I will get an annoyance where the other network adapter keeps trying to get connected and it will always fail.

  • To fix my problem above, I've tried to disable my second network adapter from WinXP. However, that crashes my snapshot. If I take away the second network adapter entirely from the VirtualBox settings (un-check), it will be ok.

  • My snapshot still crashes if I setup a transient read-only folder. Oh well...

But still, I'm not complaining that much. I'm still using it. :) It's great for quick reference to a Windows (especially IE) machine in my work.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...