Sunday, March 15, 2009

iPhone Apps no allure? I disagree

Recently, there has been so-called surveys of certain people in the industry that says that most people do not use the iPhone Apps after a month of usage. The figures are supposedly higher if it is paid.

My first impression is who did they interview for the survey? What's their sample size? What's the demographics of the sample size? Are they interviewing those people who use the jail-broken iPhones or the un-touched ones? Do they have a data plan together with the iPhone they are using?

This is coming from a iPhone user. I use at least 5 iPhone Apps everyday. All free!
  1. Bloomberg
  2. Straits Times
  3. ChannelNews Asia
  4. Free RSS Reader
  5. iToday

I use these iPhone Apps sparingly throughout, depending if I need the information:
  1. SG Buses
  2. SG Transport
  3. Air Sharing
  4. Maps
  5. Notes

Just recently, my friend was commenting to me how useful the apps are, when we were trying to find a connecting bus at a certain bus-stop around midnight. I've also told my other friend about the Puzzle Quest on the iPhone, and he was surprised that there were more classes on my version than his PSP version.

There are other apps that I use that I will not list here because it depends on my mood, but you get the general idea. I do use apps more than once, and I've been using the iPhone for almost a year.

What's my point? There seems to be a general misconception among those people who do not use the iPhone. They always think that all phones must be hacked to get all the good stuff. Not true for the iPhone. My iPhone is totally untouched. I'm surviving just on the AppStore. All my apps are free, and I can amuse myself totally with the iPhone for hours. There are of course problems of apps crashing, but that's the fault of the app developer, not the iPhone.

Just imagine... The iPhone Apps have someone overlooking the quality of the apps, and the apps still crash under some circumstances. Just imagine what happens if no one is overlooking the quality of the apps.

iPhone might not suit Singapore users because of the SMS/MMS, and cut and paste problem, but other than that, it's a very good mobile device. I personally though will not use unless it's purely for business usage. Why? Because in business, you rarely SMS. Most of the time you're calling each other. It's a very good business phone I would say, but a lousy personal phone. I've used the iPhone quite frequently in my line of work.

This incident reinforces my opinion that all surveys are a waste of time, and to me, I will take it with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, iPhone 3.0 info might come out next week. Who knows what they have up their sleeves this time?

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...