Tuesday, September 25, 2012

iOS6 Maps, Singapore Perspective

There have been a lot of complaints on the iOS6 Maps in comparison with the Google Maps that were available previously. The most obvious complaints were that the transit routing feature and the traffic update feature are not available. The routing mechanism (for driving) also works in mysterious ways as it seems to like to avoid the expressways, and there are no ways to change that setting. However, every cloud has a silver lining.

The maps are much more detailed than the google maps, showing several of Singapore's popular landmarks, and I had no problems with the searching feature of landmarks within Singapore, including our train stations. What surprises me is that Apple Maps automatically cache certain parts of the Singapore map offline. I'm still not certain how the caching mechanism works though. I activated the Maps app by mistake when I was offline and I was surprised that it was able to show my location on the map. Zooming in and out was also not a problem when I was offline.

I guess this is useful if I am overseas. I will test this the next time I go on holiday.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...