Saturday, September 19, 2009

Service is the Key for Cloud Computing

I have seen people writing about how cloud computing will benefit them and it came to me that different people see cloud computing differently. Recently, I've seen one article justifying cloud computing because tech professionals work on more than 1 machine in a typical week. To me, that's one of the weirdest reasoning I've seen for cloud computing.

To me, the concept of cloud computing has to been seen as a "solution package". The vision for cloud computing should be a one-stop shop for services that businesses need when they need it. Fees should be charged on-demand. Therefore, cloud computing will not serve the needs of every kind of business functions. It will most probably excel in areas where services are not needed for day-to-day operations, but required maybe once a month for example. The key word here is services. Not talking about the number of servers. Not talking about integration of software APIs. They keyword has and always been services.

Therefore, using the example from the first paragraph, that person does not need cloud computing. A high-powered workstation/laptop that runs multiple virtual machines could also easily resolve the problem.

Recently, the US government has started a cloud computing initiative and I felt that initiative is what cloud computing truly stands for. A one-stop shop for services. You can refer to their site here for more information.

All in all, cloud computing has been veering to the direction that I've been talking about all along. Private clouds. That is where the "game" will start, in my opinion of course.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...