Saturday, July 7, 2007

Looking into perspective

Had a talk with some people and I realized that sometimes, we do not recognize how fortunate we are. We have a tendency to compare all the good points, and just "forget" away the bad points. This results in the "grass is greener at the other side" syndrome.

Let me give an example (Hot topic nowadays):

*in a gathering*
Person A: I earn $4000 a month at XXX company. I think I should be able to buy a car soon. I work late everyday and I should pamper myself more right?
Person B: *thinking - I only earn $3000 a month. I must be underpaid*
Person C: I earn slightly more. About $4500. But ok lar... Got people earn more than me.
Person B: *feeling super depressed*

Ok, I admit that all of us, myself included, will feel depressed when we're in such a discussion. However, one should always try to look at the bigger picture.

Over here, you'll be making a whole lot of assumptions. Let me highlight the most obvious one, hours worked.

Person B.
$3000/month.
Start work at: 9am
Average hours worked daily: 9hours (Including meal times - Real life example)
Average hours worked monthly: 180 hours (9 x 20)
Hourly wage: $16.67 / hour

Person A.
$4000/month.
Start work at: 8.30am
Average hours worked daily: 13 hours (Including meal times - Real life example)
Average hours worked monthly: 260 hours (13 x 20 - Taking a very optimistic view of no weekends)
Hourly wage: $15.38 / hour

Person C.
$4500/month
Start work at: 8.30am
Average hours worked daily: 15 hours (Including meal times - Real life example)
Average hours worked monthly: 300 hours (15 x 20 - Taking a very optimistic view of no weekends)
Hourly wage: $15 / hour

Looking now, who has the better deal? I have not included the hours worked during weekends by Person A and Person C, because I left out the bonus calculation. The intangible benefits like starting work later? How do you measure that?

Many people asked me why I am still staying in my first job. Main reasons why:
  1. I'm paid average, using the hourly wage formula, including the time I spend outside official hours. (No, the above examples are not my personal examples :) )
  2. Good working environment
  3. Consistently learning new things

Of course I'm only stating one of the many things that you can look at a situation. Assumptions can only be taken if you know the facts. Making assumptions without knowing the facts can distort the result widely, and in some cases, cause distrust, misunderstandings and unhappiness.

Always look at the whole picture...

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...