Saturday, July 14, 2007

Clarification on Looking into Perspective

One of the reasons why I started writing a blog was because I wanted to "track" my thoughts and emotions after encountering different situations. Sometimes after writing your thoughts down, you tend to be able to understand it more, and look at it from a different view point. However, first you have to look at it with an open mind.

I refer to the previous post I've made on Looking into perspective. I realized that I might have sounded like I'm an employer, or I manage people's pay or something along that line. Actually, I'll just like to clarify that I'm just a normal employee like everyone else. Would I want a raise and 6 months bonus? Of course I do. But at what cost? I also do not want to 把快乐建在别人的痛苦上。

Anyway, that post was triggered mainly because of my sister, and because around that time, the newspapers were also harping on the starting pay of graduates. She is doing internship now and during the whole internship, she basically leaves the house earlier than me, and comes back close to 10 or 11pm. That's almost every single day. I've also heard of someone who work from 9am to 1am every single day, 7 days a week, for almost a month now. No OT pay of course. All are IT jobs. Somehow, my brain related these things together.

My pay was lagging behind my peers at around 20% at that point of time. However, after discussing with the bosses, I do not lag behind that much now. It's acceptable to me. Why? Because other than the interests I've stated here, my other "hidden" interest is actually finance, and economics. I do some reading on it in my spare time. I understand how businesses work, and how cashflows and expenses go about. Based on my understanding of the workings of the company I am in, they are not severely underpaying us. There are much worst that I know of. The pluses of knowing many people. :p

Playing the devil's advocate, I ask myself if let's say my company intends to raise my salary by 50%, but requires me to work 7 days a week like the above example, will I do it? I really don't know.

Many times we only look at the aspect that we're interested in, and negating all other points. Me included of course. In jobs for example, people might look at salary, benefits, bonuses. But how about personal growth, working environment, working hours? Some might mix the above priorities but the bottom line is not to be fixated at one or two points only, unless it's really that important to you.

I guess this entry sounds rather serious, and I'm starting to ramble. I'm still thinking of somethings that someone asked me.

Maybe I should just play my guitar now to calm myself so that I can think clearly.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...