Saturday, June 30, 2007

Why Double Standards?

Although I'm a free thinker, I've been in a methodist school for over 10 years. There was one verse that stuck to me, and to date which I still follow. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This is the basic rule which I follow very stubbornly.

It's very logical to me, and yet, I see so many instances of people who practice double standards. They expect it, but they do not practice it.

Few years back, it was reported in the newspapers that church goers parked their cars in front of the houses surrounding the church, blocking the house owners from entering or leaving their houses. This to me is a very big irony. The above verse is from the scriptures, and yet, the very people who read the scriptures can do this. Enough said...

I used to be very annoyed when I come across such instances. I still am, but I learn to control my temper. Some people say that I'm very "on", and that I work/do too much, but all my attitudes, and actions follow this basic guideline. Just recently, I witnessed a shouting match in the MRT. 1 big guy, tried to push in to the MRT when others are coming out. He was shoved unintentionally I believed, and he started shouting vulgarities at the person. What on earth the world is coming to??

Are you guilty of practicing double standards? I won't say I don't, but I try my very best not to. Answer the following questions truthfully and think about it:
  1. Expect people to be punctual, and yet you're habitually late
  2. Expect others to do your bidding efficiently and quickly, and yet you do not
  3. Expect to be rewarded when your actions do not justify it

I did say previously that the project that is causing me a lot of distress is ending soon come July. It has ended better than what I've expected, but it has triggered a lot of thoughts in my mind. The smile you received might have a lot of hidden meaning. However, this is life. I just hope my passion can sustain me.

I still remember my Geography teacher's favorite line: "Life is never fair".
How true it is...

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...