Friday, June 15, 2007

Buses are not much cheaper than MRT

I was always wondering why people say buses are cheaper than MRT. True that some particular routes are cheaper, but most of the time, the fares are almost equivalent (+.-), and the train is usually faster than the bus.

It suddenly struck me why when I was on the MRT today. It's the board indicating the prices above every ticket machine! Do not look at the board if you're using Ezlink! The real price can be 25 to 30cents cheaper than the price indicated there. The prices there are for standard tickets. For those who transfer from buses to MRTs, the transfer discount also applies. This fact is not quite known, but I've double checked it before.

You can refer to http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/trains_fare.asp for the exact fares. Boon Lay to Cityhall only costs $1.50, and it only takes 30-35mins!! You can even be faster than the car.

For me, I do not want to waste time, and I hate being late, so it's usually MRT for me. Guess I'm a punctuality freak. Oh well...

2 comments:

Rhinestic said...

er, yah

cost of taking bus + opportunity cost (eg. stuck in jam) > cost of taking MRT

chantc said...

yah loh...
Last time, owning a car means you're buying something in-exchange for time.

Now, owning a car is like giving money to the government, with no benefits in return. Stuck in jam, and a whole lot of taxes, ERPs, and no parking lots.

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...