Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Simple solution on teaching how to use the escalators

Just today while walking up the escalators, I suddenly have a brain wave on how you can teach people on how to use the escalators by just adding some thing to the current ones.

Ok, I admit it's not my idea. I've seen it somewhere before. The simple solution is to put an imprint of a footstep on each escalator "step". Put one left foot (on the left hand side), and one right foot to the "step" above. Leave one "step" empty and repeat. A crude example below.

_|___
|____
_____
_|___
|_____


Why will this be effective? It's human tendency to look down at the steps when boarding the escalator. So if there is a footstep there, there will be a tendency for the person to step on that footstep. The reason for the next footstep imprint is to encourage people to move up 1 step so that it will be easier for the person behind you to get up the escalator.

Personally, I think this should work quite well but I've not seen this kind of escalators for a long time. A pity though...

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...