Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Diversity in top-level executives

I was reading an interesting article that was describing on the challenges for those doing businesses. One of which is that beyond the challenge of retaining talent in businesses, having more diversity among top-level executives is desirable.

This triggered some of my thoughts on the need for diversity among top executives. Drawing from my own personal experience with my previous team, I understand the rationale behind diversity. The reason is quite simple. Every individual brings a unique perspective to a problem, and have their unique strengths. The more varied they are in their backgrounds, the more perspectives you have to the problem.

It is only in such teams that I truly understood the meaning of 1 + 1 = 3. The challenge is more to evaluate and derive a solution, and yet encourage all to continue to give such perspectives in all instances.

With no such diversity, you'll get a team of people who are too like-minded with the same ideas. Your team will most probably be productive, your team will most probably be efficient, but your ideas will most probably be limited.

Personally to me, different perspective of the same problem will usually bring about an innovative solution. The process may be longer, but the solution will most probably be not the standard run-of-the-mill type. I guess that's why the article I read recommend such a team of top-level executives.

Sometimes, it's not all about efficiency. Innovation is the key to a successful business, or team for that matter.

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...