Sunday, January 4, 2009

Access Windows Machines using the Finder

I've always been wondering why do I only see Mac machines in my Finder, and my friend could see both Windows and Mac machines. I've finally realised that it is because I've set my Mac firewall to Allow only essential services. That was why I could only see Apple machines/devices.

I dug a little deeper and I've finally managed to see the Windows machines in my network in the Finder. To do that, you have to set 2 settings.

Enable File Sharing:
  1. Click on System Preferences
  2. Click on Sharing
  3. Ensure the checkbox next to File Sharing is checked
  4. Click on the Padlock on the bottom left hand corner to enable your administrator rights (You will need your administrator password)
  5. Click on Options
  6. Ensure that Share files and folders using AFP and Share files and folders using SMB checkboxes are checked
  7. Click on Done.
  8. You can adjust the File Sharing settings if needed (optional)

Set Firewall:
  1. Click on System Preferences, or Show All if you are already in the System Preferences
  2. Click on Security
  3. Click on the Firewall tab
  4. Click on the Padlock on the bottom left hand corner to enable your administrator rights (You will need your administrator password)
  5. Make sure you do not select Allow only essential services as your setting for the firewall
  6. You should be able to see File Sharing (AFP,SMB) in the big textbox in the same screen.

That's it... For me, I've set the firewall setting to Set access for specific services and applications. Any services you have enabled in the Sharing settings will be seen here automatically. This setting also basically means that for every application that is executed, it will ask the user whether to allow the application to receive connections, if the Mac detects that the application uses the network. I will be able to change the settings later at the above screen if I change my mind.

You should be able to see your Windows machine immediately in your Finder under the Shared section after you have set these settings. At least I did.

Hope this helps...

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...