Saturday, July 25, 2009

Walk Faster, Live Longer?

Read an interesting article yesterday about walking speed. Some scientists have did a comparison between lifespan and the walking speed of individuals. The results show that the faster your walking speed, the more healthy you are and the longer you will live.

I did a quick search and found that walking 30 mins a day helps you to:
  • increase your heart and lung fitness
  • reduce risk of heart disease and stroke
  • improved management of conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes
  • strengthen bones and improved balance
  • increase muscle strength and endurance
  • reduce body fat

Different parts of your body are all working out simultaneously while walking. The faster your average walking speed, the more healthy your body is.

Personally, I'm quite a fast walker and I think there is a ring of truth to this research. Doctors don't "like" me because I rarely visit them. In a year, I visit doctors less than the fingers on my hand. And no, I don't often eat apples. :)

How will I know for sure that this research is true? Catch me again half a century later and I will tell you. :)

No comments:

Visit Rhinestic's Knick Knacks @ Etsy for handmade goods and supplies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...